If you have any students hoping to attend a Great Books college and/or have expressed their ambitions to change the world, you might direct them to this brand new sparkly opportunity offered by Shimer College–it’s called the Dangerous Optimist’s Scholarship. Here’s the low-down:
A two-year, full-tuition scholarship for transfer students who will change the world.
The Dangerous Optimist’s Scholarship rewards you for what you are capable of today, not your past grades or your previous accomplishments.
Follow these easy steps:
- Apply: Apply to Shimer College for the Spring 2014 Semester by November 15 by visiting our online application portal.
- Write a couple essays: Download Adrienne Rich’s essay Split at the Root: An Essay on Jewish Identity here and write one of your two required essays for the application based on the prompt at the end of the essay.
- Interview: Interview with one of the Shimer faculty on The Dangerous Optimist’s Scholarship Committee by November 26. Be prepared to spend at least half of the interview discussing Split at the Root with your interviewer.
Some things to note:
- Scholarship applicants will be judged solely on the quality of their essay on and discussion of Split at the Root.
- All participants will be contacted by December 6. Registration for the 2014 Spring semester will take place January 13; classes begin January 15.
- To be eligible for The Dangerous Optimist’s Scholarship, you must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form before a scholarship can be awarded. Note: Students who are awarded federal or state grants may have their scholarship adjusted if the combined amount of all aid exceeds the cost of tuition.
Important Dangerous Optimist’s Scholarship Dates:
November 15 Last day to complete your application for Spring 2014 including your essay on Split at the Root. November 26 Last day to complete your interview with Shimer faculty member December 6 Scholarship Recipient Announced Before December 15 Submit completed FAFSA form online January 6 Deadline for winner to accept scholarship and submit enrollment deposit for Spring 2014 January 13 Register for Spring Semester classes
Contact us with any questions at 312.235.3555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.