HW Faculty Council Candidate Statements (Fall 2016 Edition)

It is my pleasure to fulfill a request put forward by our current HWFC to share the statements of our three colleagues who have been nominated and agreed to stand for election to three-year terms on the Faculty Council. There are two open positions.

I share these in the order that I received them.

Kristin Bivens, Associate Professor of English

This past August, as I started my 10th year at HW in the English department, I took stock of various opportunities I had participated in and others I had not. For example, I served as CAST coordinator, along with Kamran Swanson, for 2016. As part of my CAST duties, I organized (along with Kamran) FDW in August and various CASTivities throughout the spring semester (and now, the fall semester). I think my biggest contribution has been hybridizing and digitizing CAST content and recording CASTpod interviews with and for HW folks.  I was happy to use some of the tech skills from my PhD in technical communication and rhetoric as CAST coordinator and for FDW.

Serving faculty as CAST coordinator was a gratifying experience, but when I was recently nominated for FC, I thought this was another opportunity to continue to serve faculty and faculty interests.  As we approach an important crossroads as a district and college (a new chancellor, a new contract, and re-accreditation), I would like to use my experience (spring 2016) working on an all-District team of English faculty to create a new writing placement. My experience called for skills of argumentation and persuasion to ensure the best writing placement test was chosen for our students. I think my experience on this all-District team will also contribute to serving as the criterion chair for integrity for re-accreditation, as well as your FC representative.

Megan Ritt, Assistant Professor of English

Those of you who know me know that I’m passionate about many things (including Game of Thrones, the Oxford comma, and french fries). Another subject I’m passionate about is teaching and the well-being of our students. A lot of what we can do for them is reliant upon not just our content-area knowledge but also our knowledge of education itself, our academic freedom, and our ability to share in the governance of our school.

I want to serve on Faculty Council because I want to put my passion to good use. As a teacher of argumentation, I will listen to the many disparate voices of our faculty and help us reach informed conclusions. Serving as CAST Coordinator in 2014 and 2015 helped me see the importance of being involved on the school-wide level. I am eager to learn from those who have gone before me and to help provide a voice for the faculty and by extension, our students. If I am chosen to serve on the Council, I’ll bring my passion for teaching, my writer’s ear, and my Oxford commas. Thank you for your consideration.

B. Kamran Swanson, Assistant Professor of Humanities (Philosophy)

The Faculty Council is expected to represent the views of full- and part-time faculty, to support positions that preserve and strengthen the academic integrity of the institution, and to work with administration to foster an environment of shared governance. In my first three years of serving on Faculty Council, I have learned what it means to do this effectively, and I am excited to do so more frequently and effectively for another three years. I feel privileged to work among a community of experts, tremendously varied in their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. I believe that the best version of Faculty Council draws upon these differences, encourages rational dissent, and sets an example for our administration, our students, and our larger community, to exercise a government of free thinkers with competing views. I believe it is possible to do this without losing a clear voice, and I hope my various statements to administration and faculty have demonstrated this over the past few months and years. If reelected to Faculty Council, I intend to continue putting into practice that which I’ve learned before.



Faculty Council Candidates: Personal Statements

Per request from Michal Eskayo, here are the candidates for HW Faculty Council. Voting is open all week–watch your mailbox for your ballot.

Hello faculty,

We are excited to present the three candidates who have been nominated for the Harold Washington College Faculty Council. Check out their bios, and be sure to vote next week. The polls will be open from Monday through Friday.


Luke Belz

I am writing to seek your support for my nomination as a Faculty Council member at Harold Washington College. Since the Fall semester of 2011, I have been a full time faculty member of the Mathematics and CIS Department and, as of Spring 2014, I was awarded tenure. I have taught a variety of classes ranging from Beginning Algebra up to and including Calculus. Also, I have participated on college wide committees such as the CAST and Curriculum Committees along with departmental committees such as the Developmental Education Math Committee and the Calculus Committee. Currently, I am on the District Wide Faculty Council. Each day I look forward to and enjoy working with my students and all my colleagues throughout the college. If given the opportunity to be a Faculty Council member, I would do my best to be the voice of all faculty members and address their concerns so that we can continue to maintain the high standard of education for our students.


Stephanie Burke

I am a photography instructor in the Department of Art and Architecture here at Harold Washington College. As a newly tenured faculty member at HWC, I am very interested in being an active member of our school community. I am the co-founder of the Fine Arts Integration Committee, the faculty advisor for the Council Of The Arts, HWC’s art club, and co-organize student programming on an ongoing basis, including the annual off campus student exhibition and the Arts Transfer Fair. I am looking forward to contributing to and learning from Faculty Council.


Phillip Vargas

My name is Phillip Vargas, and I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Physical Sciences. I teach both general education courses and program level physics courses. I have been teaching at HWC since Fall 2010, and believe I have worked on many projects that have positively contributed to the college. What I have enjoyed most in working on these projects has been meeting and collaborating with other dedicated faculty members. I believe Faculty Council will offer additional opportunities to work with a committed group of faculty members toward improving the college and I would be honored if elected.

Policies that Cause Rather than Solve Problems

Today I received an email from a student in my 9:30 am class. it read:

“Forgot my id. I will be late. I’m in the front but they won’t let me in.”

This particular student is a student with special needs, and so this student has a note-taker. The note-taker was there at 9:30, but the student was not. By 9:45, the student had not arrived in class. Unfortunately, I checked my email early this morning, but did not check it in the time between my arrival at school and first class, and so, following policy, the note-taker left.


About 20 minutes later, just under the halfway point of the class, the student came in to see a board full of notes and material on Categorical propositions. The work we did in class today laid groundwork for the next three weeks worth of material. Students who were there experienced a huge and important front-load the second major unit of the class. Students who missed it will be scrambling to catch up  right up until the mid-term exam.

Her email was sent at 9:04 am, by the way.

So, this student did everything right except bring her school ID with her, and now her success in the class is imperiled. All for a policy that is ostensibly aimed at “improving student safety.” Do we really need to say that most of the college shootings of the last 10 years have been carried out by people who had IDs? Do we need to point out that our college is objectively safe–relative to other colleges and other City Colleges, based on the Clery Report data? Do we really need to point out that the last time we did a security survey, there was much more concern among faculty about students than about strangers? About being alone in stairwells and hallways and offices than about people without ids wandering in?

If a few students can bring about a policy change (that was the reason provided at the State of the College address, right?) with major potential implications on student learning and work and the rest–without consulting Faculty Council or anything else–then perhaps a few faculty belly aching about a stupid policy that creates problems without solving any can get a similar result. Let’s say my bag is stolen with my wallet and ID in it. Let’s say further that I don’t have cash on me (typical). I suppose I could borrow some, but let’s say I arrive at a time and day where the people I see that I know are, like me, without cash or access to their ATM cards for some reason. Should I take a sick day? Should I send a note to my students to wait, ride the train home, scrounge up some quarters from the couch and laundry room and my kid’s bank and return and pay $10 so I can work?

“Of course not,” someone will say. You will see someone who will vouch for you or loan you the money or whatever.” And they’d be right. I would be slightly and probably only temporarily inconvenienced by the situation, because I’m white, I’m old, I’m male, I’m employed, I’d be in professional (or semi-professional) dress and so on–take your pick of possible reasons I’d have it easy.

My student, however, and likely many students, does not live with the same privileges. My student was sent home on a day that she needed to be in class, on a day when she arrived 30 minutes before class was to start, only to return to find that, because she had been sent home to get a piece of plastic with her picture on it, she had not only missed important material but missed out on the chance to have her special needs accommodated. And for what? To what end?

I am hopping mad right now.

HWCFC’s 411;)

Hi All,

I have some items of interest to report, gleaned from communications from District, the 11th floor and from other faculty and staff. There are many things being discussed but these are some highlights. If you know something which should be highlighted, let me know!

  • Reinvention 7
  • Federal Financial Aid Restrictions
  • New Hires for Fall 2013
  • Class time Audit
  • Copier/printer issues

For specifics, read on!


DA&A events today

Hi all,

I know you received an email yesterday regarding the events taking place in our Department of Art and Architecture, but I thought I’d post a friendly reminder with details on today’s activities:

Wednesday December 5, 2012

Thursday December 6, 2012

Paul Wandless will display an ‘Exquisite Corpse’ outside of room 810 starting at 9:30am

Dolores Ochoa will be available to answer student questions about the architecture program in room 818 from 10:00am-5:00pm

The Architecture program will display student assignments outside of room 815 from 9:30am-5:30pm

The photography program will conduct a photography print demo from 12:00pm-3:00pm in room 822

The photography program will conduct a viewing of processed history scans from 12:00pm-3:00m in room 820

Galina Shevchenko will host Open Critiques in her Art 176 class. Room 811. From 10:00am-12:00pm.

Jessica Bader and her students will be hosting our Annual Holiday Art Sale from 10:00am-3:00pm in room 102. Last day to go holiday shopping!

Lots more happening in and around our 8th floor. You are welcome to make a short or long visit to any and all of our activities today and tomorrow.

Thank you!

Introducing the HW Faculty Council nominees

Hey everyone!

HW Faculty Council is in the midst of elections for three new faculty council members since Domenico Ferri, Dave Richardson, and I will not be seeking re-election to the council.

We have four outstanding nominees for the three open seats: Jess Bader, Kristin Bivens, Theresa Carlton, and Molly Turner.  Per previous requests, we have asked that each nominee introduce herself.

We hope that these introductions will provide you with the information you need to make a more informed decision in this election process. The ballots should be in the boxes of all full-time faculty members by tomorrow morning.

So, without further ado:

Jessica (Jess) Bader

Hello! My name is Jess Bader.  I am an assistant professor and coordinator in the 3D area of the art and architecture department (AAD). I have been at Harold Washington for thirteen years. In those years we have seen the helm change in regards to chancellors and presidents. Because we have a tenacious faculty, our academic voice has remained strong. I would like to be part of this tradition. I have been a very active member in AAD. On the department level I serve on the AAD strategic planning committee. I was one of two sub chairs on the Space Committee, and I was a year-long substitute for FC4 replacing Theresa Carlton. Thank you for your consideration.

Kristin Bivens

I am Kristin Bivens of the English Department (since 2006), where I teach ENG 101, primarily, but I have also taught ENG 102, ENG 102 for science majors, and literature and film.  I am nearing completion for my PhD coursework in Technical Communication and Rhetoric.  As a rhetorician, I have found that my training has prepared me to closely and rhetorically examine writing.  This is a contribution I can make as a member of HWCFC.  I also serve on the Conference on College Composition and Communication’s Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession (since 2007); on this committee, I have researched and presented on contrapower harassment (i.e., students harassing teachers).  Additionally, with this committee work, I have established a network of colleagues across the country who have similar experiences that we as college faculty might encounter.  As a member of HWCFC, I see myself serving my colleagues as a committed member and advocating for our important roles at HW.  If you have any questions, please contact me at kbivens@ccc.edu

Theresa Carlton

I have been a full-time math faculty member at HWC since January 2006.  Throughout my time here I have always been an active participant in department, college and district activities.  I served as a department representative on the local Curriculum Committee for four years.  I was then elected to serve as Chair of the Curriculum Committee.  As chair, I led the committee in writing a document laying out the responsibilities, membership requirements, job descriptions, and procedures the committee should follow when making decisions regarding new or revised courses for HWC.  I also served as HWC’s FC4 representative, attending the district-wide faculty council meetings and being a voice for HWC in academic matters.  As a member of HWC Faculty Council, I will work diligently to maintain the high academic standards that HWC has always achieved, and stand up for the rights of faculty, while always considering what is best for all of our students.

Theresa Carlton

Molly Turner

I believe our strong Faculty Council is the linchpin in effective self-governance supporting the highest quality academic and pedagogical standards in our dual-purpose institution.  I can’t think of a more important way to serve HWC and its liberal arts legacy than by actively participating in HWCFC to continue building and insisting on an environment of enthusiasm and cooperation among faculty, staff and administration. I have worked closely with the Placement Center for the last four years, evaluating essays and improving processes and in this effort worked with the Placement Testing Committee to reintroduce human-read essays to better serve our students. On the college level, I have worked diligently to develop our journalism program and advise the school newspaper. Also, I am currently on the core team of faculty and librarians from across the district to develop a news literacy course with a McCormick Foundation grant.  I have been on faculty since 2002 and served on Faculty Council from 2007 to 2008.

Informal Faculty Get-Together at Emerald Loop @4 today!

Take a break from your grading (or from celebrating being done grading) and stop by the Emerald Loop between 4 and ? for a chance to hang out with fellow faculty.  Our distinguished prof. will be there to sign autographs and read from his favorite great books around 4:15.  If the event has a good turnout and goes well, then it is co-sponsored by CAST and HWFC.  If not, then it is sponsored by the Office of Instruction (just kidding; phew…is anyone else a little slap happy).

End of the Semester Get-together this coming Thurs.

There’s one week to go.  In keeping with tradition, this coming Thursday faculty (and anyone else for that matter) are invited to meet at Emerald Loop (right around the corner on Wabash) at 4 to celebrate the end of another semester.  This event is co-sponsored by Faculty Council and CAST.  With any luck, our distinguished professor will make an appearance, at which point we can raise a glass in his honor.

See you all there.  Have a great final week of the semester.

Chris, Gitte and Jenny

Faculty Council Corner

Faculty Council Corner is a regular Thursday morning-ish feature (that sometimes shows up later) , presenting an open thread for you to bother your HWFC members with pressing questions (or for us to post the pressing questions that you have). Also, you can expect this to be the forum where we post regular updates about what is happening with Faculty Council and when.

This Week’s Updates: Since the last update, the 8th annual Meet and Greet happened, which (I hear) was a great success; special thanks goes to Jennifer Armendarez and Rachel Iannantuoni for organizing and hosting!

The other big news is that the April HWFC meeting will be Tuesday, April 18th at 4pm in room 1046. All are welcome and invited. See you there!

Last Week’s Questions: None.

Faculty Council Corner

Faculty Council Corner is a regular Thursday morning-ish feature (that sometimes shows up later) , presenting an open thread for you to bother your HWFC members with pressing questions (or for us to post the pressing questions that you have). Also, you can expect this to be the forum where we post regular updates about what is happening with Faculty Council and when.

This Week’s Updates: Lots of stuff to report this week (which is why it’s late!)

1.8th Annual Meet and Greet: Social Co-Chairs and awesome people Jenny Armendarez and Rachel Iannantuoni (pronounced: Yan-a-TOE-ni) have decided to revive a tradition started by the late great Isabelle Belance to get the school’s faculty (full-time and part-time alike) in a room together for a little frivolity and grousing and morale boosting and music and convo. I’ll let Rachel and Jenny give you the details:

[This year’s HWC Faculty Meet & Greet will be on]Wednesday, March 28th, 2-5pm in room 1115. As usual, we look forward to meeting any new faculty and encourage everyone to stop by! Music will be provided by the first one who gets to the audio jack with their IPOD/MP3 Playlist.

Some games will be available and if there is enough interest, a Words With Friends competition! Potential topics of conversation for the event: March Madness, Spring Break Destinations and the usual investigatory conversations about who is the Realist!

Food, like paper, is no longer provided for College activities, so we are asking those who are interested to bring their specialty dishes or contribute to a fund for cheese/fruit platters.

Please RSVP to Rachel by Mon, March 26th regarding whether you would like to bring a dish to share or contribute to our cash food fund–contact new faculty member Rachel Iannantouni:  RIannantouni@ccc.edu, ext. 5616.

For more general information please contact Jenny Armendarez at jarmendarez@ccc.edu, ext. 5898.

2. Budget Request: At our last HWFC meeting, we discussed whether to ask for any Budget lines though the office of instruction and, after some discussion, came to a consensus (of sorts) on three:

A) Release time for the President of Faculty Council (every President does a TON of work, meeting attendance, communication, and more; plus we figured that this would be a way for the administration to formally recognize the value and importance of Faculty Leadership);

B) A Chunk of Money for Funding Annual, Faculty-Driven, Curriculum Related Events and Festivals (a few years ago, some of us kicked around the idea of a kind of ad-hoc Arts Council that could disperse money to groups and faculty who want to do special events (i.e. Latino Heritage Month, Black History Month, Women’s History Month, etc.). In the past, Faculty have had to choose between unsavory options like: 1) raiding/begging for scraps from a department budget; or 2) going through Student Government (putting some of us in the weird position of asking students we were teaching to fund our special projects and also led to difficulty for fall events given that SGA usually takes a few months to get settled and funded and going (by the time they held a meeting, it was often too late for some of the events); or 3) pleading with and administrator to release the hounds, as it were, which put the groups asking for money in the spring at an advantage relative to those who asked in the fall (unless it was all spent, in which case the people in the spring went begging elsewhere). So the hope is to set up a mechanism/application process whereby faculty would apply to Faculty Council for the funding for these types of events and FC would approve/recommend approval (not exactly sure how it will work yet).)

C. Some Cash for Hosting Faculty Wide Speakers/Events Related to Curriculum (e.g., ICCB, IAI, Programs), Academic Issues, etc.

We are happy to report that all three requests made it into the draft budget anyway. We’ll see if they make it from the draft into the approved budget sometime soon.

3. Joint Union-Faculty Council Meeting: Next Tuesday, March 27th, from 3:30 to 5pm somewhere (assume room 1046 unless you hear otherwise) there will be a joint faculty council/union meeting to discuss the proposal to change the tenure process AND the work that the same team has done on a proposal to change the Post-Tenure Review Process (which is contractual). Watch your email for more information on this as it develops.

4. Emergency Plan: I’m sure you were all as pleased as I was to see that, in response to the Tribune investigation kerfuffle, the district”s emergency plan, which includes the college specific emergency plans, has been submitted to the state, per state law, as of March 19th (as reported in your email on March 19th). Unfortunately, they are about the only ones who know what it says…I mean, am I crazy to think that the biggest threat to our college is the fact that, by their own admission, most of our faculty don’t know what to do in emergencies and don’t know how to access the information? The gates are going to be “great” and all, but unless they have magic powers, they’re not going to be very helpful. Raise your hand if you have a safe key and an index card in your classroom when you’re teaching (you know, those two things that you’ll need for a lockdown in the case of an active shooter or something awful like that). Better yet, ask that question at your next meeting (departmental or otherwise). I believe it was three years ago, or so, that Faculty Council asked for LARGE PRINT signs with the security number on it to be posted in each classroom. Still waiting. (sigh).

Last “Week’s” Pressing Questions: Anonymous asked: Does anyone know are CCC classes being taught at Chicago high schools? I have no new information on this besides what I wrote in the comments last time. Anyone else?
Everything else, especially the stuff I got wrong or missed, in the comments please

Faculty Council Corner

Faculty Council Corner is a regular Thursday morning-ish feature (that sometimes shows up later) , presenting an open thread for you to bother your HWFC members with pressing questions (or for us to post the pressing questions that you have). Also, you can expect this to be the forum where we post regular updates about what is happening with Faculty Council and when.

This Week’s Updates: We’re still working on a date for a joint Union/FC meeting, but it should happen in early March sometime. Of more urgency is this from HWFC Rep and Grievance Chair Anthony Escuadro:

With one more week to go until the contract survey is closed on March 7, there have been only 8 responses to the survey questionnaire. Of those 8 people who responded, six are from full-time faculty, one is from a full-time professional, and one is from a part-time professional. In other words, this small group of eight people will have an immense say in what concerns and suggestions get relayed to the Union leadership about the upcoming contract.

There’s still time to make your voice heard at [Dave here: the survey is hosted on a Google site which anyone with access would be happy to send you or give you–you do NOT need to sign up with Google for anything in order to fill out the survey! I do not want to post it here, though, so as to control for takers and fakers.]. The survey should take around 15-20 minutes to complete.

If you are one of those eight people who have completed the survey, thank you [you’re welcome!]. If you have been waiting to voice your thoughts on the upcoming contract, now is the time. And if you have some ideas or opinions on the upcoming contract, but for whatever reason you don’t want to complete the survey, let us know why so that we can make improvements to the way we get feedback from the Union members.

So, just in case it is helpful to see an example, my own answers when I did it were as follows:

Areas that I’d like to see addressed:

1.Increased funding for professional development (higher levels of tuition and conference reimbursements)

2. Distance Learning/CDL sections, especially the section on Intellectual Property Rights

3. Gender neutral language

4. Other stuff that I’d be happy to see addressed:
~An improved statement on Academic Freedom
~Faculty Evaluations (Post Tenure Review)
~A solution for Team Teaching
~Department Chair Duties (Stipend/more release time? The departments are huge relative to their past on account of the adjunct explosion. Combine that with turnover and tons of new administrative duties and the chair job has become nearly impossible for most of them)
~Fix the academic calendar so spring M/W classes don’t meet only 30 times, compared to 32 for T/Th in spring and 31 for M/W and T/H in the fall.

I’m sure that there are many of you who have even better ideas. I hope that you’ll share them with our union leadership who in just offering this survey has already done more to solicit information from the membership about contract negotiations than I’ve seen since 2003. Let’s show them that their efforts are appreciated…

Last “Week’s” Pressing Questions: None.

More next week, I’m sure.

Faculty Council Corner

Faculty Council Corner is a regular Thursday morning-ish feature (that sometimes shows up later) , presenting an open thread for you to bother your HWFC members with pressing questions (or for us to post the pressing questions that you have). Also, you can expect this to be the forum where we post regular updates about what is happening with Faculty Council and when.

This Week’s Updates: There was an HWFC meeting between today and the last Faculty Council Corner, but I missed it so I don’t have a ton of updates for you except that:

~The Council met with Michael Maltenfort and Charles Ansell to discuss the proposal for revising the Tenure Process and various aspects of it. The Reinvention team, which includes our Jeni Meresman, will be gathering feedback on the proposal and working out the forms and details over the next three months. Go HERE to check out the proposal and see the schedule for feedback meetings, and if you see something, please go to one of their meetings (see below) and SAY something. At the meeting they asked us to share this:

To all CCC full-time faculty members,
A new tenure process is coming, and those of us leading this effort are interested in getting feedback on the new materials as they are created.  All full-time CCC faculty members are invited to join in this process.
At minimum, everyone is welcome to look at the documents which are well on their way to being finalized.  They will always be available at http://faculty.ccc.edu/mmaltenfort/REI/ (this Web site will be periodically updated with new materials) and if you have any comments on these, you are always welcome to contact Michael Maltenfort (mmaltenfort@ccc.edu) and Jeni Meresman (jmeresman@ccc.edu).
If you wish to be more involved, we would like to get feedback about our recommendations and new documents as they are created.  Our work this semester is to create all rubrics and models that will be used to measure faculty effectiveness, revise observation forms and student feedback forms, and design the curricula for the all-college orientation and the Tenure Assistance Program seminar.  If this sounds like something you would like to help with, please join our Review Team.
We especially encourage stakeholder organizations (FC4, college faculty councils, union leaders) to send a representative to the Review Team.
Much of the work of the Review Team will be done through Blackboard, but we also ask that you attend our meetings, which are Friday mornings, 10:00 to 12:00, at the District Office (Room 641) on the following dates:
February 24
March 16
March 30
April 27
May 11 (or possibly May 4)
If necessary, you may join us instead by phone.
If you would like to join the Review Team, please contact Michael Maltenfort (mmaltenfort@ccc.edu).
—Michael (and Jeni)

~In other Meresman-related news, Jeni Meresman volunteered to serve as an FC4 representative for the remainder of Ellen Eason Montgomery’s term, and she was approved by the Council.

~In other English Department news, the department is building (and circulating) a draft about the new copier situation for other departments to consider signing onto. More on that when we have it.

~The council is working on coordinating with the Union leadership (through our shared leader, Anthony Escuadro) to schedule a joint meeting to share and work on issues that relate to both. More on that when we have it.

~The State of the College happened in a new format. Reviews seem generally positive (as you saw here and here)

~GradesFirst is coming. FC4 met with Anne Brennan about it and THIS is what they saw.

Last “Week’s” Pressing Questions:

~Kamran asks:  “What are the details of Malcolm X being converted to specialize in Health Care services? Specifically, what kind of degrees will Malcolm X now be offering? Does this mean the school will no longer provide an AA? Will departments/programs not directly related to Health Care services (history, philosophy, arts, astronomy, business, etc) be eliminated, relocated, reduced, or unchanged? On a related topic, if one school per year is converted to a particular industry, shouldn’t we be receiving information on what these will be? Don’t know; don’t know; don’t think so; don’t think so, but maybe eventually; they’d probably say no, since ‘ours is not to wonder why’ etc. Should be interesting though.  Still and all, while poking around yesterday, I found this (scroll down to read the comments) and was gratified to see so many voices of former students sticking up for what we do. I think if the Mayor and company drift toward the more radical possibilities of what they’ve proposed they may end up with a sh*t storm of pushback from the hundreds of thousands of students we’ve successfully served over the years. I mean, if they really believe that 7% number, they’re going to be in for quite a surprise.

There was also this about the building of a new Malcolm X college in the current MX parking lot–just announced this week, with this tidbit:  “He will make upcoming announcements about the focuses at other campuses, the mayor said.” The same announcement here also includes this:  “Other colleges will focus on information technology, hospitality, high-tech manufacturing and business.”  So, counting Health care and logistics, that makes six. Sounds like a great contest/pool opportunity. 2 variables, with five sub-variables each–that makes for hundreds of possibilities (more than a thousand? who knows the formula for that; help me out) for complete sets doesn’t it? I guess if we have to wait, we might as well play…

Post any additional questions (and responses) in the comments please.

Faculty Council Meeting Reminder

Just a reminder that our first FC meeting of the spring will be today at 4pm in room 1046. All are welcome and invited.

The first item of business will be a discussion of the proposed changes to the Tenure Review Process. If you’d like to see the current state of the proposal, you can go HERE to get the details of what’s being proposed.

(As I’ve said before, this is a project that is near and dear; it was almost four years ago that I first drafted a proposal for changing the tenure process and showed it around to people, a few of whom said, “I like it, but it’ll never happen.” Others tried to make something happen. It took awhile, but here we are and it looks like something may actually happen. So for anyone who says, “Nothing ever changes,” I say, “Voila.” I say it very, very slowly, but still…)

Michael Maltenfort, one of the architects of the proposal, will be joining us for questions and discussion.

See you there, we hope.