Website Wednesday is an occasional feature in which we highlight one (or a couple) of sites from the Billions floating around the Intertoobz that just might help you with your Herculean task of educating inquiring minds. Any and all suggestions for future editions are welcome.
Here are thirteen reasons why philosophy and philosophers are awesome (though some physicists may not agree):
1. Philosophers own our shame;
2. The Chair of the Federal Reserve thinks the world needs more people who know more about it;
3. Anything can be used to make a point, even toilets;
4. They sometimes wear Panda suits to prevent violence against students–meet Anarchopanda;
5. Qualified to work as the town philosopher in Corigliano d’Otranto;
6. Philosophers speak every language–even “bro”;
7. The ranks include people as interesting as Alan Turing and Derrick Bell and Ruth Barcan Marcus and J. Paul Reddam, who is the owner of this year’s Derby winner (whose response to the loss of an historic chance was philosophical) and the guy who took down “the whale” of J.P. Morgan and and a whole mess of “badass philosophers”
8. Though far, far from perfect or even acceptable in some regards, they’re trying to do something about it;
9. They’ll talk to ANYone to try to understand;
10. The beard does not make the philosopher and they’re interesting to look at;
11. They kick butt on game shows and play so everyone wins;
12. Turns out, it’s quite practical and even profitable with good job prospects, maybe better than business majors even (has been for years);
13. Though sensitive to the marketplace of ideas (Buy Spinoza!), it never goes out of style, no matter what the physicists say.